Saturday, April 18, 2009

A Parent's Desire to Pick Up Their Child

We're on the last day of "cooling" and they're now going to slowly bring him back to normal body temperature. Tagen's main desire is to just hold him close, but alas, the cooling and intricate tubing placed on him do not allow it. It was necessary, and yet excruciatingly painful to stand by and helplessly watch his cold body, unable to pick him up and take away all the problems his organs and brain are going through. One doctor said that it is up to him on whether or not he survives. And so we continue to watch Paul go through something that only he can go through. Someone gave me a few religious talks recently, so I have read them to my son at his bedside and I came across one that seemed to resonate powerfully in my heart, because I was watching my son go through his own difficult journey. It is given by Elder Jeffery R. Holland and called "None Were With Him" and it is well summarized with this clip:



My son has overcome so much already and still has an undaunting task to fulfill, and yet miraculously, he seems to bless the lives of everyone he comes in contact with. And despite what we see as limitations, are they really limitations, or is he communing with God? He is the most wonderful christ-like example and I keep thanking our Heavenly Father for sending us this child.

16 comments:

  1. Baby Paul has two adoring Ostrander girl fans (and of course Scott and I as well) who talk about and pray for him and ask me about him multiple times daily. I caught Olivia singing a lullaby to his picture yesterday, and when she saw me she said, "I'm singing a song to baby Paul, so his brain will feel better, and his mommy and daddy won't be sad anymore.". You are all loved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paul näyttää todella vahvalta ja kauniilta pikku-pojalta. Olette ajatuksissamme ja toivomme, että Paul paranee.

    Love,
    Seppo, Maarit, Jaakko & Essi

    ReplyDelete
  3. the whole shoreline family is praying for you guys....much love, franny

    ReplyDelete
  4. You guys are amazing. Its funny how in times like these we all desperately want to know how we can help or comfort you in some way...then we log on to baby Paul's site and you end up comforting us. He is so so beautiful! Our love and prayers are with all three of you. Thank you for your update!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Truly, the love a parent has for their child is powerful and wonderful. Although Paul is struggling to live and you have to painfully watch him struggle; I'm so glad you've been able to experience that deep love. I can't even imagine what you are going through. You've made me appreciate my boys even more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I said this to Tagen before, but I'll say it again. You guys are so awesome, and little Paul has the most perfect parents he could ever have! No matter what happens, Paul is so blessed to have you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jami, THANK YOU so much for keeping us all as informed as you can. I'm sure I'm not the only one checking the blog every few hours and thinking about Tagen, Eric, Paul William and your whole family constantly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Paul couldn't have been sent to better parents. We love and miss you and continue to pray for this little miracle.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are so sorry to hear about Paul. We will definitely keep him in our prayers. -Matt & Lindsay Wetzel

    ReplyDelete
  10. We are praying for you two and your little guy daily. He is so blessed to be sent to you as parents.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am amazed by your beautiful words. I will be praying for you and your sweet baby Paul.
    Much love,
    Teisha

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's so wonderful that Paul can hear your voice Eric, especially when he can't be held. You're an awesome Daddy. I pray for the moment that Tag can hold him to come quickly. It's so painful for a Mama to go without her baby in her arms. A Daddy too. We are still praying for wonderful news on Paul's brain activity. (As well as Reag and Joey...especially Reag, who prays several times a day, un-prompted, for little Paul.)

    ReplyDelete
  13. We love you guys so much and we are praying for little Paul with all our might. Our hearts are with you. You guys are so strong and Paul truly is a fighter.
    We love you.
    The Burke's

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an amazing gift little Paul is to you, and you to him! Thank you so much for the updates, it allows us to collectively love you and pray for you. I look forward to seeing the pictures of Paul in your arms, and the smiles on all of your faces. All my love.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have been thinking about you guys nonstop for the last few days. Please know that you and Tagen, along with your sweet little baby, our in my family's prayers!! I wish that I lived closer so that I could come see Tagen and give her a big hug and let her know how much I love her!! It sounds like you are all fighters. Stay strong!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are all on our minds and hearts. Hang in there you guys! Best wishes for you and your sweet little boy!

    ReplyDelete