Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Baby Steps

One of my favorite shows is What about Bob. I love when he takes little baby steps all over the office. Paul is taking showing slight improvement with baby steps right now. He is slowly healing. He looks like his Papa but he is as stubborn as his mom. He is trying to breath on his own. What they thought were seizures were only reactions of his diaphragm to the respirator. It is so great to see his little chest and belly moving up and down. He is starting to pee up a storm, which is was a HUGE concern. If his kidneys aren't working, his liver gets backed up, then his lungs have issues with blood not moving through them very well, so his heart has to work harder to supply more blood to be oxygenated for the body's use. Eric said that they showed him the recent chest X-ray and his Right upper lobe wasn't collapsed anymore, so we're happy about that too.

He loves to squeeze our fingers ever so slightly when he is awake. His eyes are pretty swollen, so he cannot open them up yet, but his swelling is starting to go down because he is peeing and getting rid of excess fluid, so we are hoping we will get to see his baby blues real soon.

The other day Eric and I got to give him his first sponge bath. It was pretty cool because the nurse noticed that his blood pressure went down and he wasn't fighting the respirator. Last night, I got to change his diaper for the first time. I never thought I would be so excited to change his diaper! We all thought Paul was big when he was born, but he has gained so much water weight that he is now 13 pounds. I look at him and wonder how he fit inside of me. It is funny because in the NICU all of the babies around him are tiny. Our boy is defiently the biggest kid in the NICU block.

I know people talk about the love of child and how they would give their life for their child. I now know that feeling. Eric and I love Paul so much. I was away from him for a few hours the other night and all I could think about was him and much I love and care for him. He is an amazing boy. He is so strong. I wish I could help him fight the war he is going through. I guess that is why I was a cheerleader in high school so I could cheer my little boy on while he is going through this, despite the negative reports we are given.

He's getting an MRI done today, so we'll post an update as to the results of whenever the radiologist can give us a report later on today or tomorrow.

17 comments:

  1. That is sooo good to hear. I have been praying so hard that you would be able to take him home and that he can be the healthy little boy he was meant to be. I will keep praying for him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tagen your strength amazes me! The cheerleader in you will definitely pull him through! I will keep praying and cheering for you and your family. Progress through baby steps will get him there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are amazing!! To be excited about a diaper change...that puts so much into persective! Thanks for taking the time to update about your special guy! The San Lorenzo ward is cheering right beside you in spirit!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How great to see some small changes. I am so glad to hear that Paul is still fighting hard.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is the best news! We've been thinking of Paul. Brandon asks if there is anything new, which is a big deal for him! Just like you said, one step at a time, any improvement is wonderful news. Thanks for keeping us in the loop so we can keep him in our thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay for pee! That's great! I'm so glad about his lungs too.
    Keep getting better baby Paul! You have soo many cousins who want to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good boy Paul! I'm so glad to hear some of our prayers have been answered. I'm glad he was such a big boy so he has more of what he needs to fight. It's excellent news that he's peeing so well!
    I hope you are feeling better Tag...my heart still aches for you all the time. I can't wait for you to be able to hold him, and to hear that he is a healthy boy. (I really believe he will be.)
    Thank you so much for the updates! We check very regularly. (:

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the update Tagen! I am always thinking of you guys and especially Paul! Every baby step is a huge improvement for the little guy and a little miracle! Keep the faith!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tagen, it's great to hear from you! We are all praying for you, Paul and Eric. It's so funny how he dwarfs the rest of the babies in the nicu. here's to more poop, pee and diaper changes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, Tagen and Eric. Such wonderful news. It is true that loving one's own baby is a very powerful thing. Gives us just a clue of what Heavenly Father's love for us is like.
    Hang in there.
    Love,
    Debbie
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hooray! Bring on the wee, wee!!! I dreamt that I gave you a huge hug last night, so consider yourself hugged. Baby's are so resilient and PW will be home where he belongs before you know it! -Lots of love, Adrienne, Jason and Sawyer.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much for keeping us updated with this blog, and yay for baby Paul!! Already progressing, I love it. Keep up the great work, mama bear, cuz baby bear can feel your love and support. He's working so hard!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My little family is cheering for Paul! We also hope you are doing well and healing after your grueling delivery. Tagen, ,you are a champion. We had a 10 1/2 pound newborn baby in the NICU for a while and his size was comical, too. It is good to find the humor in hard situations!
    Love,
    Abby and Jared

    ReplyDelete
  14. Friends and family, we appreciate all the support you have given Tagen and Eric and sweet baby Paul. The next few days will be difficult, as Baby Paul is returning to his Saviors arms, a perfect and amazing baby. Tagen will get to hold her beloved son in the morning and Eric will give him a name and a blessing.Iam sure he will be greeted by his Grandpa Paul and Grandma Betty,and I know they will take care of him, Thanks for your prayers, what a spiritual time this has been for our family, I love you my dear sweet grandson Paul, till we meet again, love your Grandpa steve and Grandma mj parker

    ReplyDelete
  15. We are thinking about you and praying! We hope everything turns out ok. Keep us posted. If there is anything you need we are here. WE love you guys and baby Paul. We'll be cheering for you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. We are so sorry and sad to read the comment from the grandparents. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. Please let us know if we can help you in any way! Love, Mike Payne and family

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can't even imagine your grief and pain. What a hard thing to go through. We'll continue to pray for you and Eric,especially for the tough days ahead.

    ReplyDelete